As of 12-21-2017, the open burning of brush, yard waste, leaves etc. is NOT permitted in Commerce Twp. Actual “BurnPermits” are no longer issued by the Fire Department. Residents may enjoy a small “Recreational” fire (campfire). NO PERMIT IS REQUIRED for a “Recreational” fire.
What that means to Commerce and Wolverine citizens.
A small recreational fire is legal under the following conditions:
- Burning of fire wood only
- Size of fire can be no greater than 3 feet in diameter and 2 feet high
- Fire can at no time create a fire hazard
- No flammable liquids can be used
- Fire must be constantly attended with a means of extinguishing readily available
- Fires that are in a container meant for the purpose of having a fire can be no closer than 15 feet from a structure
- Uncontained campfires can be no closer than 25 feet from a structure
Brush, leaves, rubbish and yard waste is illegal to burn and should be bagged up and recycled at the curbside.