What is a Curb Cart and how is it collected?
A Curb Cart is a specially designed Cart that can be collected using a traditional refuse truck, equipped with a lifting device. This automated arm will lift, empty and return your cart to the same spot. The operator never leaves the truck cab. After collection, we request that you roll your empty Cart back to its storage place. Indoor storage in the garage is possible due to the containers ability to retain odors within the container. This means of collection is a relatively new but thoroughly tested and proven method of residential refuse collection used in the solid waste collection industry. Industry professionals are increasingly using it as a more efficient and cost-effective option to the more traditional manual collection.
General Curb Cart Recommendations
• All household refuse/garbage items may be placed in the cart. It is also recommended that garbage items be bagged and tied, then deposited in your cart. This practice will keep your cart cleaner.
• Please place the cart at least 4 feet from any tree, pole, fire hydrant, etc. and at least 10 feet away from any cars parked in the street so the automated arm can reach your cart.
• Do not over load the container. If the lid is not closed, garbage will be subject to wind and nuisance animals.
• Please do not lean anything against the container.
• Remember to place the arrows on the lid of the container toward the street and the handle toward the house.
• Your container should be placed curbside no later than 7:00 a.m. the day of collection. The emptied container should then be promptly removed from the curbside.
• The emptying of your Curb Cart is guaranteed ONLY if placed curbside on the correct day and time. We can’t be everywhere at 7:00 a.m. but we can be anywhere and that may be in front of your house.
• Yard waste and any household hazardous waste must NOT be placed in the cart. State law requires that we do not mix yard waste, which is compostable, in the cart with garbage.
• Do not put dirt, sod, or rock in the container.
• Do not put flammable material such as oil, gas, paint or “hot ashes” or “coals” in the cart.
• Do not put Muriatic acid and other pool supplies/chemicals in the cart. These can cause chemical reactions in your cart and in our trucks leading to fires and dangerous toxic fumes.
• Do not put concrete, debris from construction, remodeling or demolition in the cart.
What do I do if I have more trash than the new Curb Cart holds?
There may be times when residents have more trash than the Curb Cart will hold. In this case a resident may place this additional waste in trash cans/bags. Please remember to leave some space between the new Curb Cart and your household cans/bags. National surveys do however indicate the 96-gallon cart is adequate for the average home of four (4) people. Each container will hold the equivalent of three (3) normal trash cans.
How do I dispose of chairs, couches or furniture that will not fit into the Curb Cart?
You may continue to place one item out per week to the curbside for your weekly bulk collection. However, we respectfully request that residents call in advance so that we can dispatch the appropriate equipment. Please call Republic Waste Services at (800) 858-0089.
Prepare your recycling materials according to the information provided in the informational flyer. Place them in the recycling bin, and place the bin out at the curb on the same day as your refuse and yard waste. Remember the more you properly recycle means the more natural resources you will save in addition to saving room in your Curb Cart.
Yard Waste Collection
Yard Waste begins the first week of April is collected separately on the same day as refuse and recycling. Remember it is state law that all compostable material be separated from refuse. Yard waste may be placed in a trashcan clearly marked “yard waste” or placed in kraft paper yard waste bags. Remember that cans or bags may not exceed 32 gallons in size or 50 lbs in weight.
If any of the holidays listed below fall on a weekday your pick up will be delayed by one day.
New Years Day Labor Day
Memorial Day Thanksgiving Day
July 4th Christmas Day
For Questions or more information contact: Republic Waste Services at (800) 858-0089