Have a Garbage Pick-up or service Complaint or missed pick-up? CLICK HERE to report it! You can also call GFL directly at 248-204-4233.
If you are unsure of your Refuse pick-up day go to GFLUSA.com, click on residential, scroll to the “Your Service Day” section and input your address at top right of map.
What is a Curb Cart and how is it collected?
A Curb Cart is a specially designed Cart that can be collected using a traditional refuse truck, equipped with a lifting device. This automated arm will lift, empty and return your cart to the same spot. The operator never leaves the truck cab. After collection, we request that you roll your empty Cart back to its storage place. Indoor storage in the garage if possible due to the containers ability to retain odors within the container. This means of collection is a relatively new but thoroughly tested and proven method of residential refuse collection used in the solid waste collection industry. Industry professionals are increasingly using it as a more efficient and cost-effective option to the more traditional manual collection.
General Curb Cart Recommendations
• Please place the cart at least 4 feet from any tree, pole, fire hydrant, etc. and at least 10 feet away from any cars parked in the street so the automated arm can reach your cart.
• Do not over load the container. If the lid is not closed, garbage will be subject to wind and nuisance animals.
• Please do not lean anything against the container.
• Remember to place the arrows on the lid of the container toward the street and the handle toward the house.
• Your container should be placed curbside no later than 7:00 a.m. the day of collection. The emptied container should then be promptly removed from the curbside.
• The emptying of your Curb Cart is guaranteed ONLY if placed curbside on the correct day and time. We can’t be everywhere at 7:00 a.m. but we can be anywhere and that may be in front of your house.
• Yard waste and any household hazardous waste must NOT be placed in the cart. State law requires that we do not mix yard waste, which is compostable, in the cart with garbage.
• Do not put dirt, sod, or rock in the container.
• Do not put flammable material such as oil, gas, paint or “hot ashes” or “coals” in the cart.
• Do not put Muriatic acid and other pool supplies/chemicals in the cart. These can cause chemical reactions in your cart and in our trucks leading to fires and dangerous toxic fumes.
• Do not put concrete, debris from construction, remodeling or demolition in the cart.
What do I do if I have more trash than the new Curb Cart holds?
There may be times when residents have more trash than the Curb Cart will hold. In this case a resident may place this additional waste in trash cans/bags. Please remember to leave some space between the new Curb Cart and your household cans/bags. National surveys do however indicate the 96-gallon cart is adequate for the average home of four (4) people. Each container will hold the equivalent of three (3) normal trash cans. A second cart will have to be purchased if you consistently cannot fit all garbage bags in your one cart. To order an additional cart, please call GFL at (248) 204-4223. Cost per trash cart is $95.00 and recycling cart is $85.00.
How do I dispose of large appliances, chairs, couches or furniture that will not fit into the Curb Cart?
BULKY WASTE–APPLIANCES & FURNITURE – The collection of large bulky waste, such as appliances and furniture, will continue to be part of your solid waste program with GFL-USA. You may set out large bulky items on your regular scheduled service day for collection. Please place large bulky items out separate from other products for collection and have out by 7:00 am. large items may include: washers, dryers, freezers, refrigerators, air conditioners, hot water tanks, stoves, microwaves, couches, chairs, tables, dressers and other large items. FYI: Please remove the doors and racks from refrigerators and freezers prior to setting out for collection. Also, it is GFL’s responsibility to make sure Freon is extracted according to current environmental standards. PLEASE NOTE that some larger bulk items, like freezers and large appliances may be picked up by a separate truck and may take up to 24 hours to remove.
Prepare your recycling materials according to the information provided in the informational flyer. Place them in the recycling bin, and place the bin out at the curb on the same day as your refuse and yard waste. Remember the more you properly recycle means the more natural resources you will save in addition to saving room in your Curb Cart.
Yard Waste Collection
Yard Waste begins the first full week of April (on your refuse pick-up day) and is collected separately on the same day as refuse and recycling. Remember it is state law that all compostable material be separated from refuse. Yard waste may be placed in a trashcan clearly marked “yard waste” or placed in kraft paper yard waste bags. Remember that cans or bags may not exceed 32 gallons in size or 50 lbs. in weight. Yard waste collection ends the first full week of December (on your refuse pick-up day).
If any of the holidays listed below fall on a weekday your pick up will be delayed by one day.
New Years Day Labor Day
Memorial Day Thanksgiving Day
Independence Day Christmas Day
For Questions or more information contact: GFL-USA at (248) 204-4223