Commerce Township Fire DepartmentMain Phone Number: 248-560-0051
Fire Safety Tips
- Please make sure you have working smoke detectors in your home. It is recommended that there is a detector on each level of the home, and also in each bedroom. Detectors should be tested on a monthly basis and batteries (9 VOLT) replaced every spring and fall. 10 years is the usual life spam of the common smoke detector.
A SIMPLE SMOKE DETECTOR CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE!
- Have and practice a fire escape plan for your family. Ensure there are two ways out of every bedroom. Ensure all doors and windows operate properly and occupants are able to open for emergency escape.
- Do not leave burning candles unattended. Burning candles should not be near anything combustible.
- Carbon Monoxide detectors are recommended on each level of your home. Carbon Monoxide is an odorless and colorless poisonous gas. It is a byproduct of combustion. If not vented properly, Carbon Monoxide can leak from your gas stove, furnace, hot water heater, dryer and gas fireplace.
- Never use accelerants to start a fire.
- Make sure we can see your address. Address numbers on your house should be large and of contrasting colors visible from the street. Addresses on the mailbox should be on both sides. Mailbox addresses that are in a cluster of mailboxes are difficult for the Fire Department to determine which house is which. If we can’t find you, we can’t help you.